Friday, February 12, 2010

Universal things

Questions that were brought up recently in a conversation with one of my Latvian friends:
- What was the first thing that made you smile when you arrived here?
Me: Shining Daugava river through the bus's window and seagulls waking me up in sunny warm mornings.
- What then made you first time sad or disappointed?
Me: Me shining and smiling on the bus, and people with grey and unhappy and concerned glances at me.
- Have you already had homesickness?
Me: Not so much. I miss home sometimes, especially some food like horse meat, mum's tea (only my mum does the best tea ever for me!), coffee places and my friends, and time we used to spend there together, lots of sun and people's warmth, mountains of Almaty, autumn of Almaty, my lovely parks and my teaching field.
- What do you like about Latvia?
Me: The language. Karums deserts- this is one of the most delicious dairy products I've eaten ( and I'm a huge fan of dairy products! So far I love youghurts of Food Masters in Almaty, fruit milk I found in Rotterdam's shops, Karums deserts here in Latvia- yes!), Lido restaurant/cafe chain with its folk music.
- What do you dislike about Latvia?
Me: I can't answer this question. People always find excuses for things that aren't done properly and find whom to blame. So, this is a never end answer.
- You said you are now feeling culture shock. How did you understand it?
Me: I've noticed I became being annoyed everytime: this is not done, that needs careful attention and inputs from others, and everyone says it's not important, it's not a priority. And it irritated me. People do changes when they do them, not talk about them. It was not for a long time, or maybe it is still going on. So I've noticed I'm being negative. And it's one of the things I do not accept in life- negativism. I took a few days off in my mind, and provided myself with a plesant environment. Even on the "grey" bus. With grey glances at me. With grey sky in the mornings and cold room that pushes me to a hot shower. So I'm creating happiness for myself, and I keep the situation under control.
- What have you done so far in AIESEC in Latvia that makes you proud?
Me: Young members to whom we have provided a platform for their personal growth. Members who write back to me and say they enjoy their internships in different countries, and that this is one of the best 'occasions' in their lives. Sugar cubes that I receive from national conferences that prove me I have one of the best jobs ever at the age of 24. The teams I work in nationally, internationally. Impact that we do in AIESEC is indescribable.
- What is your next step after AIESEC in Latvia?
Me: Again, I cannot answer this question. Firslty, because I never know what happens next minute, though of course I predict and plan, but sometimes there are some slight changes in my plans :) Secondly, no matter what I do after my term in AIESEC in Latvia it will have a meaning. Whether it is business activity, diversifying my AIESEC experience, being back home or living in another country- anything, but it will be done with a purpose. Plus, I am still hungry for challenges and want to be in the organisation another year. Just be open, that's it.
- So how long are you planning to live like this? What about starting a family- you are in that age when you need to be a mother.
Me: Well, I do not necessarily need to be in some particular age to be a mother or to start a family. Family will come when it is time for a husband and kids to appear, and when you are ready to take responsibility for them.
- Kids? How many do you want? Probably one in this market economy?
Me: No, one child is boring and inefficient. He might grow up a selfish lonely boy/girl. Two kids substitute their parents in the society. Let's say we cover the budget by zero :) Three children is a bit better because they benefit the society with one more additional person (meaning that two other cover their parents as economic man power). But from a mother's perspective two kids may create aliance and another might feel as an outsider. So four kids for me will be minimum optional 'number'. 6 family members is a good number: we can play domestic football in the garden, or basketball on the court; kids' war/peace aliances can exist but they will exist in pairs, latest child can longer stay with us, parents whereas others will be feeling too much independent to live with parents. Youth maximalism :) So, four kids for me would be ideal, I think. Of course, the more the better, my husband and I will just need to make sure we provide our family with basic needs in education for instance. Plus, I'd really want to adopt a boy or a girl one day. It's my dream.
- What will you do today to remember this day?
Me: I will call my mum and say how much I love her, and what she has done the best in the world for her children. I will write a thank you not to one of my friends. And I will be more positive. Even if it is cold in a flat.
I am so curious about the future. But more curious about the present.

4 comments:

double_why said...

It's so funny that you eant to have minimum 4! four! FOUR!F - O - U - R! kids!

Assel said...

What is so funny? o_0
Yernat, sorry, do not understand you :)
Ideally, it'd be cool if I had a whole football team of my family- meaning kids and parents. Football is the most admiring sport for me!

double_why said...

Don't mind =)Just my weird sense of humor =)))

Assel said...

No, now I am curious :)
What is funny in F-O-U-R kids?