Monday, February 14, 2011

An Unquestionable Question

A paradox of my life: I tend to look for challenges and I do not get them. This is what occupies my mind: I do not have challenges. Then I ask myself: What is a challenge for you? How do you define it? Does it have a taste? A smell? A sound?

If to follow Wikipedia, " A challenge is a general term referring to things that are imbued with a sense of difficulty and victory " Cool, it's said and done: So I have a difficult task ahead, I analyse it or I design it as if it did not exist, and I get solutions. This is one approach. There are lots more that I could use. However, it is not important now. What is important is that I do not get satisfied by "challenges" I am faced. My point here is that even if I see a complicated task in front of me, I know how to solve it. Or I sense that I know. This feeling gives me not just a sense of confidence. It relaxes my mind. It does not make me think. It plays hide and seek with myself. To be honest, it is pretty much annoying.

OK, then I ask myself: if you do not get satisfied by those difficulties because you "know" how to make those victories to happen, then what do you want? Do you necessarily need to experience a feeling of a Challenge? What will it bring to you? How will it change you? What will it lead you to? ...
And then I comprehend another sense: I cannot feel FEARS. Even now looking at this typed word "FEARS" I am relaxed ( as a point of reference: it is not recommended to type words in upper case as it may signal a shout for a receiver of one's message ). So, about FEARS: what are they? What type of fears do we have? Why do we experience fears?

I have thought of FEARS for some time, and I understood the following for myself:

- An absence of FEARS for a few years led me to the way I am today: Dissatisfied because I do not see a real challenge for myself, i.e. where I won't be able to figure out a solution. It consequently causes a

- FAILURE, a personal FAILURE. However, I reckon you need to experience and embrace FAILURE when it happens to you as it builds a stronger personality. Failure functions as a spice, it enriches your personality with tastes, smells, cluttered speeches, confusion, frustration... What results in the end is up to you: you either win or you lose. I accept FEARS and FAILURE as a great

- MOTIVATOR. A few months ago I have experienced a Leadership Failure with another person. In the beginning, it drove me nuts. I was confused, I rejected everything and everyone. But then I asked myself a few really essential questions. Yes, it was hard to accept personally the feedback I have drown for myself, but I accepted it. I accepted Leadership Failures. I understood it was one of my FEARS. However, the FEARS were not BIG ( But I did learn it myself! Yay! )

So FFM formula concluded my thoughts last week on a following note: Girl, do not complicate things. No fears? Great! A room for Failures? Awesome, learn from it! Motivation? Do take an advantage of it!

So I sketched a plain puzzle of my next few things - from 5 to 10 - that I am continuing to pursue. In Sep 2010 to Dec 2010 I promised I would achieve at least 80% out of 10 things in 100 days. Yeaaaah, I did achieve... 65% ... Way to go!

10 things planned vs achieved from Sep to Dec 2010:
- Learn how to play a guitar - in process
- Learn Spanish - did not take any solo class. Starting again.
- Improve Public Speaking - attended Toastmaster's Club in Hyderabad in Nov-Dec 2010. Joining the club in Chennai in Feb 2011.
- Read 10 quality books - Done. The list is displayed in my linkedin profile
- Visit at least 5 new places and get AWE- inspired - Done. I have been to Pattadakal, Badami, Aihole in Karnataka state, Goa, Palolem beach, Jaipur ( Rajasthan state) and Delhi ( the capital city of India ), Chennai and Konchiparam, Tamil Nadu state.
- Learn Salsa - zero progress.
- Learn French - zero progress.
- Lead a Global Support Team (GST) in Talent Management area, AIESEC - Achieved! I work with 5 great personalities!
- Implement at least one educational or research oriented sub project within GST for sustainable operations - Achieved together with the team! ( Our team plays around Competency Model (CM )in AIESEC. CM is bread and butter of highly successful enterprises nowadays. However, corporate world still cannot figure out what it is and what ingredients to add when you prepare it for your workforce. )
- Deliver either a business training or facilitate a workshop/AIESEC conference - Achieved! In Dec I delivered a training on Cultural Sensitivity for science college graduates within company premises.

Not bad. I can do better. You ask me "Do I need it?" I will reply "Why Not?"

Motivator. There are a few BOLD things I want to do in life. "I want" , not "I plan". These are:

- Family: taking care of my parents and my brother. Start my own family when the time comes.
- Travels: Independently, with friends, with my family members. I want to travel to at least 100 countries before I die. ( Here is a trick: I do not fix an age when I shall visit 100 countries. Death is inevitable, therefore let's do first things first!)
- Dear passionate job: My country is in need of entrepreneurs, AIESEC taught me how to be an entrepreneur, and I realise how much it is valuable for the society and for building a firm self esteem to drive entrepreneurship within yourself. So I will have my own business in the nearest future.
- UN: I have a tremendous willingness to spend some time working for the United Nations and develop the Talents across the world, Improve Education Systems.
- Audacious Individuals: I want to meet and work with people whom I admire ( apart from my smart friends all across the globe, there is a small bunch people with whom I would like to collaborate on different projects ) For instance, these are Batyrkhan Shukenov, Ken Robinson, De Bono, Bono U2 solo, Michael Duglas, etc.
- Intercultural Communication. Management: I want to live in every continent before I settle down mentally and physically back home in Kazakhstan. Yes, I am a big patriot of my country.
- Oceans, Swimming as a hobby: I want to have memories of the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans on my skin.
- A book: I want to write a book (-s ? ) about different matters that are important in life. Family, for example. Or living abroad.
- I will come with more when it is the right time for them ( the so called aspirational goals ) to appear.

Conclusion: I do need to have a lack of FEARS in my life as they show me what I really want in life.

No comments: