Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Liberal Thinking

I have been surfing the net for a few videos related to Kazakhstan as I am re-discovering an image of the country I was born and raised in. Living abroad taught me one priceless lesson: Appreciation to your motherland strengthens day by day, and you are happy when people back home are happy; you are worried when people back home are worried.

One of the greatest lesson I absorbed during my teenager-hood was Focus and Unity among Kazakhstanis. Focus would be given from above and the citizenship would follow it. Individual thinking does exist, innovative thinking may prosper across the country but also is being killed because of hierarchical and bureaucratic systems. Unity is one of the national features among Kazakhstanis that sometimes is not valued and may not be witnessed from first sight. But believe me, Unity does fulfill the spirit veins of the Kazakhstanis. We have been nurturing Unity since 18th century if I am not mistaken - since the times of Ablay Khan.

Unity echoes as Equality for me. All men are born to be Equal. But not all men and women and children are Equal in our reality. I am not very religious. I am Muslim "by default" but I do not practice Islam. I respect any religion people believe in and follow. I respect Islam as well even though nowadays the religion is a victim and a weapon in hands of anyone who thinks he is the strongest and the most superior than the rest of the world.

When I used to live in Hyderabad, India I was looking for a peaceful place where my mind could relax from everyday noise. Some cities in India lack such places - infrastructure is not developed to the level of comforting people's lives. However, if you travel to remote villages and UNESCO heritage sites you will be amazed how calm and harmonious those places are. So, when I was about to leave Hyderabad I went sightseeing and visited Charminar, a four-minaret building. It used to serve as an original foundation of the city by Moguls in 17th century. Next to Charminar I saw an amazingly gorgeous noiseless grandiose mosque. I have been fascinated and of course I was eager to enter it, and spend some minutes in peacefulness. I felt that at last I found what I looked for. However, my thoughts and desire were destroyed by a sharp men's voice who said I was not allowed inside the mosque... because I was a woman...

I have never experienced such burning questions, emotions, thoughts before as I had that minute. When I asked "Why?" and said "It's OK in my country" ( this thought came to my mind so fast and so naturally), the man replied " Because you are in my country. And you have to behave according to our rules" My attention was caught. I felt disgrace. I felt I was not equal to the Men just because I am a Woman...

Below is a video that made me proud I am Muslim.
I still believe all people are Equal and all people have the rights to be happy.

1 comment:

Kazashka said...

Assel, I've read through your experience in India so far. The story about AIESEC India reception was interesting - as I can see, nothing changes in this world. :)

And this last post is one of the most interesting personal stories you have shared here. Strange habits - hard to see the point of mosques then...

Enjoy your experience in India to the fullest!