Friday, August 6, 2010

Mumbai: Week 1

Survival

Not so long time has passed as I am jotting down a few thoughts after my first week in Mumbai, India.

Briefly about what happened before my rather spontaneous arrival at one of the largest cities in the world: I have simply enjoyed my time home with family, a very short and desirable time, a very miraclous and gorgeous time, the so much needed time with my family and close people. Yes, it's been short- just 2 months to taste "How is it being home?" and jump into a new life journey. An incredible journey, I believe, since India is now promoted as Incredible India and I get reassured by this message daily.
My hometown


You may have noticed this blog post is called Survival. Indeed, my first week in Mumbai has been a survival. Never ever have I witnessed such a tremendous growth and failure of one, never ever have I felt alone and surrounded by people going through the same challenges in their first week here, never ever have I got astonished and shocked simultaneously as it is happening in Mumbai with me. Never say never.

Imagine, you wake up, have breakfast, and getting ready to commute to work. Different countries have different means of transportation and different styles of commuting. I have not had any picture how it may look here though it is not my first time being in India. But now I understand that India is different. Not just diverse. It is different as two sweet similar apples. So if I was shocked by crazy traffic in Jaipur and subway culture in Delhi when I visited India first time a few years ago, I was paralysed by seeing train traffic in Mumbai. It takes me a lot of courage to open up myself and get all my inner strength to get out of my comfort zone. It takes me a lot of patience not to get broken in front of everyone and first of all, in front of myself. It takes me forget the life I used to live before and start absolutely a new life. A blank page.

Emotions. Week 1 gave me an impression I am in a movie. Not a Bollywood movie though. I am an actress. I am being acted upon by circumstances, by weather currents, by someone's laziness and immaturity. I was feeling very stressed, I have never felt so lost, so desperate, so lonely, so frustrated. On my 2nd or 3rd day I was so fed up with these consequences of Survival script that I decided to be a director of Survival series, and make it a sitcom. At least this idea worked out. In the end, regardless of all long awaited actions from the others and an insane traffic, my friends and I could nothing but laugh. Laugh histerically sometimess. We would be damn exhausted but we would keep on laughing. As it was the only remedy and support we could find at any time.
Our 1st morning journey together. Induction. Isnaldo, Elizabeth

Universal Time. Value of time is different everywhere. Moreover, it is different for every individual. I remember I would sometimes go crazy back in Latvian times when I was late for some important things in my life. At home I do not notice how time flows. It is so natural there, as it should be. Here, in Mumbai, my friends and I do not feel or see time at all. We leave our living places at 7.30am and come back home at 12-1 am, exhausted. During a day we can't understand what is going with time! It disappears!

Indian Standard Time ( IST ) However, when it comes to meet with anyone here in Mumbai people act according to IST. I have noticed, it does not matter whether you are local or an expat, everyone has a habit to do business, to meet with friends according to IST- Indian Stretchable Time. Kazakhs are not that progressive as Indians in being "accurate" with IST.

Monsoons. Oh Gosh, another discovery. Have you ever experienced fiercely raining cold water from heavens? Add to this a filthy street water mixed with litter and smog. Do not forget to put some colours of happy Indians being on a train, outside, at booking offices, and finish with colours of confused concerned faces of Westerners. A speechlees picture. Daily.
A photo taken in an autorickshaw


Friends. I am so glad, so glad I have my old friends here. I am so happy I have made new friends here with other interns. It adds super power and days do not seem so lonely.
Nastya, Feras and I
_____________________________________________________________________

Resume
Week 1 has been the bigest emotional challenge so far in my life. I have no feelings towards this condition yet. It does not mean I am afraid of living here or anything like that. It has been really really hard for me, I have not thought it would be that much hard. But I will manage. I will. I am not the first trainee here, nor the last one. Everyone has survived. So have I.
Lesson to learn: Forget your past life. Start an absolutely new one.


No comments: