Monday, August 9, 2010

Mumbai: 2nd week

Adaptation
Life in Mumbai is extreme. It is not bad, not good. It has its own path. It is very hectic, it is insane, it is sweet, it is lovely, it is filthy, it is so much international, it is spicy, it is ... diverse.

Mumbai Diversity - 1. If you happen to be in Mumbai you would probably commute by local train service. There are two classes: first class and second class. The difference is in cost of tickets in 10 times ( e.g. coupons for 2nd class may cost 40Rs, 60Rs or 80Rs = 120KZT, 180KZT, 240KZT or less than $1, 1Euro, $1,5 respectively ; now multiple by 10 and it will be a cost for 1st class ) and in seats. In 2nd class women/men compartments plenty of people can take a seat; in 1st class only 3 people are allowed. Taking a train to get to other parts of Mumbai is like a roller coaster. You get through so many emotional peaks of yours within one- two- three minutes.

In the beginning, I was feeling really uncomfortable commuting by trains here. It is difficult to describe, pictures won't say much and you gotta feel it. However, the situation is not that bad as it seemed to me in the beginning. Later on, I started noticing how women ENJOY trains. It is like a small society for them. Seems as if they can meet each other only on the trains, only during these sweating rush hours they chat as if they won't see each other in this entire world. They chirrup, they laugh, they argue, they live and enjoy their lives within 30-60mins of a trip.

Metric measurement. Guys, tell me something, in your countries, when you want to know where a building is located how do you measure distance? By meters, km, miles I suppose? We, Isnaldo, Elizabeth and I, it shall be like this. On the contrary, in Mumbai we were introduced a new measurement: 5- 10 min walk. Let me give you an example: we are looking for a particular known landmark, and we ask passersby its location, or how far it is, or what direction we shall go to. In reply we hear, " Go straight, then right, then straight and right again. It's not far, jsut 5-10 mins walk" :) Lovely. We got used to it and we reply the same to just arrived interns. Splendid :)

Mumbai Diversity - 2. Walking is one of my hobbies I truly enjoy. Alas, in Mumbai I am getting tired very quickly and walking in the city becomes more of a pain than a pleasure. For instance, due to heavy rains I started to wear yellow rubber boots. Quite comfortable to protect feet from dirt, and at the same time it is a total sauna for my feet. One day, three of us ( Naldo, Liz and I ) had decided to go around Mumbai. We visited the Haji Ali mosque and got totally wet from head to toe passing by the Arabian Sea shore. We then went to Mahalaxmi Temple dedicated to Mahalaxmi goddess, and got wetter. We have also seen the world's largest human machine Dhobi Ghat and got astonished, shocked, thoughtful and wet again. After all these imbalanced pictures and people's various lifestyles we took a taxi to Moshe's and satisfied ourselves with a delicious meal. Meanwhile, we were studying India book and decided to walk to Hanging Gardens or to TATA gardens. According to a map we used, it was not far, just 5-10min walk. So we took a deep breath and marched to the Gardens, also known as Ferozeshah Mehta Gardens. It was raining, of course. So, one of us is sleepy and sips take away coffee, another one whistles different tunes, third one is gazing at traffic and documents everything. On the way we saw the cheapest world's car TATA Nano and of course took a picture! ( We like TATA group too much :) So, after 5-10min walk we saw a park, or better to say an outdoor public area. Curious, we changed our way and we thought it was TATA Garden. In fact, it was Hanging Gardens. And here our astonishment has increased! Mumbai diversity, part 2! We could not believe our eyes such a peaceful clean cozy place could exist in Mumbai! We took lots of pictures, we laughed so loud, we were innocently happy and we did not want to leave the Gardens! Indeed, you never know what happens next. It is so true especially in Mumbai!


Cultural differences. We all have our individual standards we apply towards friendships we make, towards politeness and roughness, towards what's acceptable and what's not in one's society. By growing up, I have been learning and experiencing what it means to be tolerant, what to sacrifice in yourself to be open towards other cultures. Ultimately, what's acceptable in my society may shock a person from Tanzania, let's say. Here, in Mumbai I feel I am asked sometimes too much of being culturally sensitive. I am not saying I feel disgusted, or that I neglect these differences. The matter is in its frequency and weight of this tolerance is sometimes too heavy to carry on shoulders daily. I am grateful I have friends here I could talk to, and I feel relieved. Otherwise, I would go crazy I think. But what I understand is that I want to insist on learning and adjusting myself for Indian diversity, and I will work on myself. If this is one of my weaknesses at the moment, I shall work harder to prevent its further existence.

Locked. During these two weeks many stories happened, many places have been visited, a few parties have been attended, a few tears have been dropped, lots of laughter have been produced. However, only now I realise I could not reflect on what was happening to me every day since July 26 when I landed in Mumbai. The days have been Formula - 1 video clips. We rush, we sprint, we don't have time for 3 meals/day. Our stomachs have shrunk, and we cannot eat more than a meal a day. Otherwise, we feel sick and nauseous. As the result, I cannot recall any day from A to Z. If I had not my camera with me, I don't know what I would do. Memories are blocked as our work accounts used to be. Why is it so? Maybe because so many things happen at a time, and here you really need to react fast to changeable situations?

______________________________________________________________________
Resume

I never was missing my family so desperately as I do now.
Lesson to learn: I should surround myself with things I used to enjoy doing. They will help me. I need to settle down at last. I want to start working. As if I am asked to catch 10 rabbits with 2 hands. Who will win in this case?

1 comment:

Jolanta said...

Dear Assel! First of all i'm really really glad that you're writing your blog again. I just read about your first two weeks and all i can say is 'wow'! I can understand your emotions although i bet that India is something 1000x more than Turkey. And i know that i'm not ready for India and i doubt that i ever will. But i am really happy for you because even though it's hard now, i know you will make it. I'm more than sure about that. You are already strong and this will make you even stronger:) Thanks for sharing and i hope that it will go better and better with time! Fingers crossed for you, dear!:*